CreComm: A Bittersweet Goodbye


In life, we often find ourselves fighting to the finish line in one thing or another. We're always looking to complete something, whether it's a puzzle, a book, an essay, a degree, a career - we're always looking forward to the day where we can be done with one thing, and then move onto the other. 

That was certainly my mindset when it came to my final semester in the Creative Communications program. People would ask, "Joey, how's school going?" and my answer would almost always be something along the lines of, "Well, it's almost over, so at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel!"

Well, here I am. Last Friday I handed in my final assignment, and on Sunday night I stepped into the Red River Radio studio to produce the final episode of my precious hip-hop radio show, The Booth. You might say I'm officially through the tunnel. But as I had my last CreComm class, handed in my last CreComm assignment, and signed off on my last CreComm radio show, it was probably one of the most bittersweet feelings I've ever come across in my life, because I realized that I'm really going to miss CreComm. 

Applying for Creative Communications was one of the best decisions I've ever made, and these past two years have been two of the best in my life. The program itself was amazing. The instructors were so knowledgable, and truly invested in the success of their students. I learned technical skills that I never realized I had any interest in ever learning, I became a borderline competent graphic designer, I fell in love with shooting and editing video, I learned how to host and produce a radio show, I became a play-by-play and colour commentator,  and I had countless other experiences that made me realize that the field of communications is exactly where I want to be in life.  

But as great as those things are, that was not what made this goodbye feel bittersweet. The part of CreComm that made it the best two years of my life - is the people. 

Never in my life have I met a group of people more talented, compassionate, selfless, and so enjoyable to be around than the people I've spent these last two years with. CreComm could be a complete nightmare, but being able to go to school and hang out with some of these amazing people boosted my morale to a level that it had no business being at. 

No matter where I go, or what I do, I will hold a special place in my heart for these people for the rest of my life. And I look forward to maintaining some of these relationships, and continuing to be inspired and uplifted by the presence of these truly great people who I have the privilege of calling my friends. 

Finishing CreComm feels like I'm flipping the page on a significant part of my life. I have things on the horizon, and reasons to rejoice at what comes next, but before I do that, I just wanted the opportunity to give these last two years the send-off it deserves. 

My last "CreComm" moment came shortly after 9pm last Sunday night, as what was going to be a simple and modest final segment of The Booth, turned into what felt like a final goodbye to the entire Creative Communications program. Once I turned on the mic to sign off one last time, I realized that I had more to say then: "That's all we have for tonight, take care everyone."

And although the words came out as a goodbye to The Booth, listening back to them days later I realize that it really was more of a goodbye to CreComm. My "listeners" in this sense are really just the people who supported me, inspired me, and pushed me on to get through a program that has really made me a stronger person. 

So with that, I now present to you my goodbye to CreComm, and a thank-you to everyone who was with me along the way - straight from The Booth on Red River Radio. 


This entry was posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 and is filed under ,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply